Sunday, May 3, 2015

I Was Born In The Wrong Era

Hello everyone!!! I've missed my refashioning lately, been so busy with the Passion Play for several months and then was just too tired to be creative, but I'm back! Inspiration comes from many sources, and this time I hit the thrift stores searching for pieces I could turn into a costume. I actually found a Thrift by the Pound store, didn't know we had any of those in my area! And it's on the main strip where I do most of my Goodwill/thrift shopping!! Sometimes it's the little things that make life sweet. 
So here's what I found.



It's... strangely becoming!

I'm not really sure what this was really meant for, I look like a life sized doll. You can't tell, but the front of the skirt is split all the way up to the buttons, no clasps or zippers to keep it from flapping open and flashing the world your goodies. So who really knows? But check this out!



POCKETS!!!! This little darling has pockets! Def keeping those!

So, I already knew when I saw the polka dot pattern that this garment was pretty much what I would end up using for my costume. (I didn't even try it on, which is usually a bad idea folks.) It JUST barely fit.



I cut off the skirt from the top and tried it on. It fit right where I needed it too, yay! It was several inches too long though, so I needed to chop a little. Fortunately....



It looks as if whoever made this actually added several inches onto the hemmed bottom, so all I needed to do was carefully cut that off, and voila, I didn't have to hem anything. Plus I got about a four or five inch wide scrap to use as a belt, scarf, or head tie for another outfit. Yay recycling!

So that was going to be it for this outfit, find a fancy smancy belt, and see if I already had a top to go with it, when I took another look at the top of this dress.



I didn't get pics of me removing the bib thing, sorry bout that. I cut off both sleeves and hemmed them as is. I had bought a gorgeous coral belt with gold decor on it to off set the pattern of this piece, so I grabbed that, threw on a white tank top, my black 'witch' shoes, and here's what I ended up with!




What?!?! I'm dying over here!!! So stinking cute!!!! The white gloves really make it, I think.



 


Just for fun, when I fixed my hair I walked out and said to my husband, 'Like my hair?" He turns with a smile on his face, fully prepared to compliment me as a husband should, and his smile turned to a grimace, haha.. I like surprising him sometimes... :D 

I think I was born in the wrong era. 

No comments:

Post a Comment