Sunday, February 7, 2016

A Gown For A Gala

Greetings everyone! Today's refashion is probably my favorite yet, and probably my least complicated evening gown so far (since I've made so many of them... um... anyway). I bought the original late last year from a thrift store. The tags were still on it, originally some $20 drab black velvet office/church wear most likely. It's pretty sad when velvet is drab huh?


So there it is, in all it's perfectly ordinary glory. But as soon as I saw it, I had visions of elegance, and my sister who was shopping with me agreed. So I bought it. I think I paid $5, so not bad eh?

Chop went the sleeves, and I carefully sliced open the seams at the shoulder, leaving about an inch on either side where the sleeves had been attached. I had originally hoped to turn the sleeves into some pretty, drapey, off the shoulder sleeve, but I couldn't figure out how to do that, so I set the sleeves aside and re-examined it. I went to JoAnns to see what sort of ribbon I could find to make straps for the gown, I had sewn it up to fit me, and fit it did, rather well, but I was going to need straps of some kind, otherwise the gown wouldn't quite stay up. I found, of all things, head bands.


I cut the elastic in the middle and sewed one end of each headband to the front of the dress.
I played around with the placement several times, the headband split in two in the middle, I'd hoped for a sleeve that would hold the dress up at the shoulder and then the other strap could hang elegantly down my arm, but it was not to be. So I played some more... Can you feel the excitement building? This is what I settled on.


Love, love, love how it turned out!! The dress flares out mermaid style when I walk, which looks even nicer, I think, and it's pretty comfortable to wear. I wore it to the Georgia Entertainment Gala, (it was 30 something degrees ya'll, I had to wear tights and tote a jacket around, but I was still able to enjoy everything once I got inside. 


Met up with old and new friends, I'm pictured here with the lovely and talented Francine Locke, who was nominated for Best Actress at the Gala! (with her husband, and my fellow actor Jim Thompson).

So far it's my favorite, and I'll be wearing different shoes next time, which will really pump it up I think.

                      


No comments:

Post a Comment