Friday, December 11, 2015

Pill Box Hat and Beanies

And we're back again briefly after a bit of a hiatus. I'm in the middle of relocating to Atlanta, and currently living with the in-laws, and it's all fabulous! I'm so so so so so glad I didn't pack up my sewing stuff, because I found a gorgeous dress turned evening gown that I can't wait to show ya'll!

But today's post is all about hats. I love em! (And usually forget to wear them, haha)

First thing's first...

This is the before for both items. I was strolling through Goodwill, struck with inspiration for some sort of hat to go along with a vintage inspired jacket I have, and thought, 'I need a stretchy, red velvet material for this idea.' Literally 10 seconds later, glanced over to see this bulky sweater hanging there, almost by itself, waiting for me. Yay! I grab it to try it on and determine that there would be plenty of fabric, and lo and behold there was that strange looking hat I'm wearing. I snatched up both and called it a day. I don't think that's ever happened, to find what I was looking for on a whim, immediately..

Anyhoo.. today I got to work.


I had tucked all of that inside the hat to make sure it would be the right size, stay on my head, etc, and liked what I saw, so chop chop happened.


I tucked everything in evenly, and applied fabric glue. I'm not sure this was the good strong stuff, but sewing was not an option. This isn't a 'wear and tear' type of hat, so I'm going to be very gentle with it anyway.


The things we do to ensure something stays together as the glue is drying! This was the only round item that seemed to be just the right size. Be resourceful!


And this was the final result, and dreadful picture, I'll try to get a better one soon, this at least shows what's going on. I think I will add black tulle, the kind they wore in ye olden days for funerals and parties, to give it more of a vintage feel, but I'll sew that on so that it can be tucked in and hidden if needed.

Onto the next refashion!

The sweater. Size 2X. I saw a tutorial on how to make beanies out of sweaters, and although this really isn't beanie material, my other idea wasn't going to work, so I figured I'd give it a try. I wasn't going to wear that much red velvet for anything else, so I was content in chopping up the sweater.


I wrapped it around my head very awkwardly to make sure I had plenty of fabric, which I certainly did, then chopped.


I wrapped that cut portion around my head again, and had about five extra inches of fabric, and I sewed this up like ya do, and cut off the excess. Then came the fun part.


Isn't that cute? I can't think of what exactly it reminds me of, and I was so tempted to leave it as is, but my plans must commence, and I didn't know where I would have worn that anyway, even for a costume piece.

                                         
I folded it over three times into a long rectangle, then cut it with a rounded edge.


                                          

This part was very tricky. This might be easier on a larger piece or something. I don't know if I can explain it without a video. 




You open up the curved parts and match them to each other, side by side until they're all matched up and kinda look like a flower with nothing in the center, and sew it all up. Isn't that a rubbish explanation? I'll do a video soon on a sweater, That's likely to make more sense.


This was the final result! Seems a bit French Revolutionesque, but it seems comfortable and fits well, so I'm happy! I still have a bit of excess fabric from that sweater, the sleeves and such, so I'll hold onto them for further inspiration!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment