Monday, February 3, 2014

Purple! A big, $4 refashion.

I've wanted a purple blouse for quite awhile, and have never found one that I loved, that I was willing to pay for..... Even at my discount thrift store shopping. Until the other day, I ran into Goodwill quickly. I was on the verge of being disappointed in their knick knack section, and then occurred to me to search their sweaters for a good find. I have about three winter shirts that I have been rotating in this FL cold weather, and needed two or three more. I did find one nice sweater piece, with three-quarter length sleeves, and was quite happy with it. Then I found this:



I love my loud, obnoxious socks! But that blouse.. 26/28 X. However I was certain I could turn this into the beautiful royal top of my dreams. I took this pic at my parents house, you shoulda seen the look on my brother's face when he saw this. It was a, 'please tell me you're not wearing that in public?' look. I set his fears to rest immediately.

Took it home and got to work. I turned it inside out on my dressform, and pinned a rather loose fit. I'm tired of always cutting the fabric too short or too tight, and was determined to do it right this time. 
Then I chopped.



It was rather simple once I got past the fact that I would NOT be unbuttoning all those buttons everytime I wore this piece. I pinned both sides down and then tried to get it off my dress form, to no avail. I had to take the pins out of one side, and sew the other side first. I figured once the stitches were in place, it'd still come off the dress form when I pinned the other side. But when all's said and done, it was a very simple piece to make. Once the sides were sewn up, I carefully hemmed the sleevelines. The back of this top apparently scooped down lower than the front, and I didn't catch that at first, so the back was hanging down an inch or so lower than the front. Easy peasy, just make a hem and match the length of the fabric. I tried it on and made a tweak here and there, and then it was done. Pretty straightforward and simple, I probably finished in under an hour. Here is the finished piece.


A bit loose fitting, but I actually like it that way. It's comfy casual, and I LOVE the color!

Before and after:



Ta da!!  My $4 top! I did find another purple top at that same Goodwill hunt, and another very interesting piece that will be all kinds of fun and torture to play with! I will keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment