Friday, September 27, 2013

Best ever $1 refashion!

Hello again! Today I'm premiering my favorite (so far) refashion! This was a one dollar score from the Humane Society Thrift Store.



I wasn't 100% sure about the print, was it too mature for me? Eh, why not, it's $1, and it's an experiment.
I started with the usual removal of the sleevage.



This dress had fabric bunched in the side, which made an edge that draped over the shoulder. I saw that when I chopped and hemmed the sleeve, this edge would hang over the sleeve a bit, but I decided not to worry about it at the moment, who knows? I might like it.

Next I had to do something about that neckline. It's a button up top, though you can't tell from the pic, the buttons were covered by a strip of fabric. I cut a V neck because I didn't think a scoop would work with the buttons, and I wasn't sure I wanted a scoop neck anyway. I had to cut it a little lower than I would have preferred, because of the button placement, but it wasn't really a problem. 




I could've left the back alone just fine, but thought I might like to have a little breathing room, so I cut a little V for the back as well. (Also toyed with the idea of being able to wear the buttons in the front and the back.) The V wasn't very hard to cut, just had to measure properly, but I was still a bit nervous cutting it. But there, it turned out really well!



I hemmed everything up, and it looked well and beautiful. Now I just had to decide what to do with the skirt. I didn't like the length, but couldn't decide whether to make it a short skirt, or something else. It occurred to me to try making a peplum out of it, since store bought peplum so far is not my friend.
Peplum to me, is tricky. The only tops out there seem to be for short waisted people. I have never, and will never be accused of being short, in any capacity, so I've figured peplum will be one style I shall have to forego. Until now. I tried on my almost finished garment and anxiously tried to find out what would be a great length for me. With great trepidation I finally laid down the dress carefully and sliced. (Didn't get a pic of that.) I tried it on with bated breath, and voila!! It was perfect! I had cut it exactly where I wanted it! It was a great day, I was so happy! And this refash took maybe an hour to do from start to finish! I was done with time to spare for Bible study, booyah! Here's the finished product! 

You can see the edges I was talking about that went over the sleeves. I decided to keep it, it works just fine for me.


I really really like it! This is one of the more wearable pieces I've refashioned, and for what was an experiment that could've gone wrong, I'm very happy with it. (I wear a little modesty panel with it, the kind that clips onto your bra, very convenient!)

Before and After


  

No comments:

Post a Comment